About the Edgewood PTA
Edgewood PTA Executive Board 2014-2015
Click here to see the PTA Committee Chairs
What Is The Edgewood PTA?
The Edgewood PTA is a non-profit, non-partisan service organization and is governed by its members. The PTA committees, which are staffed by parents and teachers, are the backbone of the organization, providing the leadership and the work that go into creating, organizing, funding and staffing the many wonderful programs that the PTA offers to provide further enrichment for our children. The PTA meetings are the forums at which the members collaborate to make all important decisions, to discuss ideas and issues, and to report on projects.
The Edgewood PTA is a small part of a huge network that includes the Scarsdale Council of PTAs, the Westchester District PTA, and the New York State and the National Congresses of Parents and Teachers. The PTA is the largest volunteer organization in the world.
2014-2015 PTA Membership Meeting Dates:
|1st PTA Meeting:||Wednesday, September 25 @ 7:45 p.m. (PTA Budget vote)|
|2nd PTA Meeting: ||Thursday, November 14th @ 8:45 a.m.|
|3rd PTA/Joint PT Council Mtg:||Wednesday, January 15th @ 7:30 p.m. at SMS|
|4th PTA Meeting:||Friday, February 7th @ 11:45 a.m. |
|5th PTA Meeting: ||Friday, April 4th @ 8:45 a.m.|
|Final PTA Meeting:||Friday, May 16th @ 8:45 a.m.|
| || |
What Do We Do?
- After school clubs. We offer after school clubs in a wide-range of disciplines, exposing children to science, art, sports and fitness, performing arts and many other wonderful activities.
- Defray costs. We help defray the cost of grade level special programs.
- Community service. We lead community service projects that help teach our kids to become better citizens in the world around them.
- Awareness of others. Through the year-long work of the Multicultural Committee, we educate our children about differences in people’s backgrounds to help them increase awareness of diversity.
- Lunch programs. We provide lunch programs that the district does not provide, such as Pizza, Pasta, Obento Day, and Lange’s Lunch.
- Lice check. We offer a lice check program which assures that any cases of head lice are discovered and dealt with before they spread.
- Directory. We compile a directory of all Edgewood students including names of parents, phone numbers, addresses, and e-mail addresses to make everything from playdates to committee work easier.
- Class parents. PTA class parents act as liaisons between teachers and parents, communicating important information from classroom happenings and field trips to organizing the annual Staff Appreciation Luncheon.
- Arts programs. We offer arts programs such as: Classical Cafe, which provides entertainment performed by students whereby the others students enjoy a restaurant style lunch; Cultural Arts, provides programs and workshops for student enrichment; Visiting Author, which brings several well-known children’s authors and illustrators to school throughout the year; and other arts-related assemblies and opportunities.
- Social Events. Through social events for families, such as the Family Picnic, Bowling Night, the Edgewood Fair and our annual evening Social, the PTA seeks to create a sense of community at Edgewood, one where everyone can feel a part of the school, and new families can feel welcome.
Why Do We Need To Keep Fundraising?
The PTA is a non-profit service organization. Its yearly budget anticipates generating only enough revenue to cover its necessary expenses and to support PTA programs. Our annual membership dues cover only a very small portion of this budget, and so we are highly dependent upon fundraising events and activities that are held throughout the year. In addition to the support of the programs listed above, the Edgewood PTA:
- gives gifts to the Edgewood community, classroom learning aids and other supplies for the faculty.
- offers scholarships for food programs and After School Clubs.
- gives generously to the Scarsdale High School Scholarship Fund.
- defrays the cost of the many luncheons and events offered throughout the year.
- funds its various forms of communications, such as the website and SchoolPay.
We appreciate all the support from the administration, faculty, and parent members, and continue to strive to make the Edgewood experience as special as it can be. If you have any questions, comments or ideas at any time, please send an email to Michelle Bates or Mariane Liebowitz.